I think soup is a poor excuse for a meal. Seriously. Whenever we had soup for dinner, I felt cheated out of a true culinary experience. It’s not like I grew up in Vermont or Oregon where soup would probably be appropriate. I grew up in Hotlanta where you could count on January and February for toasty days that would require heated liquids in a bowl.
Now if that soup was accompanied with a nice warm grilled cheese sandwich then I might make an exception and get over my disappointment. There is something special about dipping toasted bread with melted cheese into a warm bowl of tomato soup. It’s like having breaded mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. Yummmmmmmmm!
I’m almost 32 and I think I’m pretty grown, sexy and awesome. Thus I feed myself grown, sexy and awesome food. Food that brings me life and makes me tingle inside is part of my culinary vocabulary. I teach women how to love food and love their bodies. Being a #WellFed woman is a priority and this soup does exactly that!
I served it with a grown folks, grilled cheese sandwich. Bread, sliced, juicy heirloom tomatoes, crisp arugula, turkey bacon and goat cheese. This is how I cook for myself. This is how I serve myself. This is how I remind me that I’m worth it. This is part of being #WellFed.
Recipe: Roasted Red Pepper & Chickpea Soup
Summary: A creamy soup spiced with cumin and smoked paprika
- 2 15 oz can garbanzo beans
- 28 oz unsalted plum tomatoes, peeled and whole
- 1 12 oz jar of roasted bell peppers
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 16 oz chicken or veggie broth (more if you want thinner soup)
- 3 TB garlic paste or 4 garlic cloves diced
- 3 TB smoked paprika
- 2 TB cumin
- 2 packets sazon
- salt to taste
- Bring all ingredients to a boil EXCEPT roasted bell peppers and turn down to med-high heat.
- Once sweet potato is cooked through and soft enough to mash, turn down heat to a simmer. and add roasted bell peppers.
- Let simmer for approx. 5 minutes
- Using a stick blender, blend ingredients until smooth or desired texture
- Adjust seasonings to taste
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, greek yogurt or feta cheese
- adapted from Bitchin Camero
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe by Eat Consciously. Relate Honestly. Love Abundantly.
Microformatting by hRecipe.